Wooden Boat Festival

James Craig & Lady Nelson (foreground)

Last weekend was the Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart. This is held every two years. Now we look forward to this festival for two reasons, of course there is the festival itself but more importantly our friends Raewyn and Garry visit from Queensland.

This year there was no entry fee to the festival and because of this there was no fence around the festival site. What a difference that made. The festival had been extended to take in almost all the wharf area with much more space for exhibitors and whilst a record number of people attended you never felt unduly crowded. The organisers had been hoping for an attendance of 80,000 over the three and a half days of the festival but it was estimated that 100,000 people attended.

There where boats of all sizes from the magnificent fully restored barque James Craig to exquisitely made dinghies and canoes.

The magnificent James Craig

We, Raewyn, Garry, Vicki and I, went to the festival on Saturday. It was a terrific day weather wise, just right for walking around the wharves. Raewyn and Vicki headed off to the Salamanca Markets that were adjoining the festival and we didn’t see them again for several hours. Garry and I wandered from boat to boat. By 3PM I could hardly put one foot in front of the other. Anyway we got home about 5PM.

Monday we went to the Sorell Markets. Whereas Salamanca is a craft market Sorell is a second had market. Garry was looking for spanners for his collection of Seagull Outboards and after rummaging through all the second hand tools he found six so we considered it a successful day. Garry had also purchased another Seagull Outboard from a neighbour of ours so we had to visit Vinnies for a suitcase to pack it in.

We had a great weekend with Raewyn and Garry reminiscing over our travels together when we lived in Queensland and planning possible further trips.

Maria Island behind Vicki, Raewyn and Garry

The worst part of the weekend was getting Raewyn and Garry to the airport in time to catch their 6AM plane. We had to leave home at 4AM. A bit of a shock to the system.

This entry was posted in Home in Tassie. Bookmark the permalink.