Just after I uploaded the last blog (Saturday)the storm hit. Very heavy rain for about an hour but the caravan was snug and dry.
Saturday night it was still raining so we (Mick, Jenny, Vicki and I) ate supper in the van. There was certainly no room to spare but we all fitted around the table. Our first caravan dinner party!
We had decided not to leave until Monday to give the storm a chance to pass and more importantly we had learnt that boab tree plants could be purchased locally on Monday.
Sunday was a camp day that commenced with jaffles on the camp fire for breakfast and then concluded with a terrific camp oven roast Vicki cooked for all that evening. It rained just as we were preparing to eat so we once again moved inside.
We received a Skype video call from Vicki’s sister, brother-in-law, mum and nephew and niece. It was terrific, Mark took his laptop to Jillaine and Ralphs and we had a great call. We hope we have the opportunity to do more of these calls.
Monday we broke camp and went into Mitchell for the boab trees, of which we now have three travelling with us. We then headed south on a secondary road to St George. Like most secondary roads that we use we found very little traffic. Most traffic including the thousands of caravans and campers seem to stick to the main roads which is good for us.
We are now entering cotton country and I had expected St George to be a vibrant town just like Mitchell but that proved not to be the case.
The girl in the information centre seemed completely disinterested in us. She thought the free camping area was now unsuitable as it hadn’t been cleared after a flood six months ago. We then tried to buy wine at three hotels. One hotel sent us through the bar to look at their “bottle shop”, almost no stock, the next wanted to serve us through a steel grill and the third was sold and had run down their stock to almost nothing. The town had a general air of untidiness and decay about it. Almost certainly a town in decline. Quite a few caravan parks which seemed to be well patronised. With no free camping we headed out 9 kilometres to “Fishermans Rest” a campground on private property. This proved to be a good camp on the bank of the Balonne River.
At $20 per night it wasn’t cheap but it was certainly better than being stuck in a caravan park. We have had the pots and fishing lines in but so far nothing. The water has been cooled by the recent rain so maybe nothing is biting.
Will stay here today (Tuesday 7th) and move on to lightning ridge tomorrow.
Fuel consumption has now returned to around the 13 litres per hundred kilometres. From Camooweal to Hughenden because of the headwind we only got about 15 litres per hundred kilometres and you could see the difference in the fuel gauge movement. Apparently the RACQ agent in Camooweal is often called out to motorists stranded 50 or 60 kilometres short of Camooweal because they have failed to allow for the extra fuel needed because of this wind.