Thursday 12 November

Left Haslam Saturday morning. Didn’t catch any fish – again! Called into Streaky Bay to stock up with supplies. We had been told that it was easy to get a feed of razor fish (clams) at low water here however as it was high tide we decided not to wait but head on south. PB070001 

Went into a lot of likely camp sites. But for one reason or another we didn’t stay. Walkers Rock would have been a nice camp however the only suitable camp site for us was taken. If we had had a caravan it would have been easy. Had lunch at Elliston. After looking at a few likely camps and finding none suitable for the camper trailer we headed for Coffin Bay national park. Signs at the entrance warned of penalties for entry without a permit and as it was self registration and we didn’t have the correct money we headed for Port Lincoln arriving about 1800.

Because we don’t need power we ask for an unpowered site and are normally directed to the camp ground if the park has one and that is what happened at Port PB070005Lincoln. After taking about half an hour to try and level the camper on a very steep site we unfolded the tent and started pegging out. No hope, the ground was solid rock underneath a very superficial soil covering. spent the night with no pegs and the camper only partially erected hoping that there was no wind. At first light packed up and left Port Lincoln.

Had breakfast on the shorefront at Tumby Bay. I decided to make straight for Adelaide as I had become a bit disillusioned about trying to find suitable camp sites for the camper. In reality we should have just gone into caravan parks. The map and our GPS showed a vehicular ferry operating between Lucky Bay and Wallaroo. This would save us the long haul north to Port Augusta so we decided to call into Luck Bay and see what the cost was. Arrived at the ferry terminal to find it deserted however there was what looked like a coffee shop so Vicki went to investigate and found a note on the door saying the ferry service was suspended until mid 2010. Great, no sign on the main road or anything. If Vicki hadn’t gone to investigate I might still be queued up in the boarding lane!

680 kilometres later we  arrived at the Adelaide Shores Caravan Park at West Beach, Adelaide. This was our longest one day drive to date.

PB110037 The park is a Big4 park of about 300 sites but we do have a level site that has some shade and we can get the pegs in. As we will be here for about a week we have set up full camp including the rear annexe. The park is right on West Beach with a boardwalk to Glenelg. The other day the shark spotter plane circled the beach with its siren going. We learnt later that 7 sharks had been sighted in the area and a shark attach had occurred further south. Vicki has confined her swimming to the pool. Using our seniors cards we can travel for free on public transport so we get a bus from right outside the park to Glenelg and the fast tram (more like a train really) to the city.PB100026

We have caught up with Mel, Vicki’s cousin who lives in Adelaide and it was great to see her again. Coming back from having dinner at Mel’s I got breath tested right outside the caravan park.

It is very hot here at present, high 30’s and toady is supposed to be the hottest and then it will taper off. We will probably leave on Saturday once it cools a bit.

We have booked on the ferry for December 10th.

This entry was posted in On the wallaby. Bookmark the permalink.